Today we meet , Jack Ellis, singer songwriter , very cool guitars, folky yet rocks it tough, Jack is keeping it real and singing with conviction . So do yourself a favor this first day of August and give Jack Ellis a listen to. If you dig the artist that have talent in the singing and songwriting side of things, you’ll be glad you did..
From his press:
Held together beautifully by Jack’s wonderful guitar playing and emotive vocals The Storm is a song that tackles themes of love and loss, as snapshots in our life strip us bare, leaving us afraid of allowing ourselves to love again. While growing up Jack was influenced by the likes of Jeff Buckley and REM and has taken on board their unerring ability to write and producing relatable yet emotional music, something which impressively shines through in the passion he puts into his music.
Jack was voted Best Breakthrough Act 2015 and was nominated for Best Live Act at The Cardiff Music Awards and has also received radio plays from BBC Wales as well as receiving significant support from the likes of Dermot O’Leary on BBC Radio 2, including being invited to perform live in the studio. This has culminated in Jack becoming one of the rising stars of Welsh music, an artist who looks set to continue his growth through the release of his latest single.
The Storm is out now via District South Records.
1) For those unfamiliar with your history, can you give us a little of your back history? I fronted two bands for the last 4 years and decided to go solo around a year ago to play my own style and choice of music.
2) Who would you list as your musical influences? I was influenced as a child with Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush, R.E.M always playing as long as I can remember, some great songwriters i’ve taken a lot from in the last few years are Ben Howard, Asaf Avidan, Damien Rice, Jeff Buckley and a crazy band called Mothers Cake.
3) What’s the coolest thing that’s happened to you since you started up? It’s got to be the live session on BBC 2 on The Dermot O’Leary show, that was pretty insane!
4) What are your hopes and dreams as a musician for the next few years? To continuously keep writing and increase my knowledge and skills as a songwriter, and then play all over the world as far as I can, and as much as I can until my arms fall off.
5) What are some of your favorite albums from the past few years? I’ve drilled Ben Howards albums they are a great listen and influence, his guttering is out of this world, Asaf Avidans albums are great, his vocals are incredible and so unique, at the moment i’m listening to Wolf Alices most recent album and I’m liking it a lot!
6) Do you see any real use for social media, or is it all just a pain in the ass to keep with? It’s a massive pain in the ass, but it does make sense, its easy to spread your music across the world, It’s nice getting feedback and station plays all over and that’s only due to the good old pain in the ass of social media.
7) Do you pay attention to reviews or comments from people about your music or do you just turn that noise off? I like to hear peoples opinions, I try and message back to as much as I can with those few hours I’ve got left in the day, but you’ll never keep everyone happy, there’s no rights or wrongs, its all preference and personal taste, my mates listen to shit music, but I don’t tell them as it’s only “my opinion” I just like real music, songs that are written from the heart, not written to impress.
8) If you could tour anywhere in the world, where would you want to go? Japan, a good mate just got back from tour out there and he said it is crazy how polite the japanese are compared to us, when a song finishes, they clap, and then its straight to silence, with eyes gleaming awaiting your next move, and my mates band are real heavy! I would like to tour japan just to see this.
9) Can music save the mortal soul or is just a good backbeat to your life? Yeh corse it can, it’s other peoples lives, stories, feelings, and when we relate to things with emotion it can help/move us in many ways.
10) Any last thoughts for your fans? Keep an eye out for my upcoming E.P “Eternal” coming out in the next few months, and come join me at a festival this year and well have a blast!