Just in time for your weekend shindig, today we bring you The Uh Huhs out of Little Rock. Very cool garage vibe, for me its a little The Rich Hands meets Natural Child or another way to say that : a little Buddy Holly and a little Stones with a whole lot of we just wanna have some fun jams going on between friends. Great party music, leaves me wanting to listen to more from them, so I’ll be sure to stay tuned in to what The Uh Huhs are putting out so we can get more to you when the time comes, until then, give a listen today to The Uh Huhs
Hi our name is….
The Uh Huhs
People say we sound like:
The Cramps, The Stooges, Thee Oh Sees, Nina Simone… depends on how drunk they are
We are… :
Zac Hale, Zach Hunter, Tyler Nance, Trent Whitehead
We are from:
– Zac Hale: Huntsville, Alabama AKA Space Camp
– Zach Hunter: Little Rock
– Tyler Nance: Little Rock by way of St. Louis by way of Memphis.
– Trent Whitehead: Booneville, AR, Pop: 4000. Currently residing in LR
What’s the scene/support from other musicians like in Little Rock?
-Zach Hunter: Pretty great really, it’s a nice place to be. A lot of our friends are in bands too; you always want to support each other.
– Trent: We all play in other bands too, some of us together, so we all have a pretty good network of buddies making music all over AR. Lots of good people making great music around here.
– Tyler: It’s knit much tighter than other cities I’ve lived in.
-Zac Hale: Yeah, it’s small enough to have a tight community, but big enough that cool stuff happens
Who are some bands/artists that have an influence on you?
– Zac Hale: Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, Buddy Holly, Os Mutantes, The Exploding Hearts
– Zach Hunter: The Beatles, The Kinks, Harry Nilsson, Jesus & Mary Chain, Big Star, Stone Roses, The La’s, Teenage Fanclub, Oasis, Ride, The Smiths
– Tyler: Pavement, Sonic Youth, The Replacements, GBV, Slint, SDRE
– Trent: The Ramones, Iggy Pop, Buddy Holly, Velvet Underground, Jay Reatard
How old were all of you when you started to play and who plays what in the band?
– Zac Hale: I had a fake guitar as a little kid, but I never plugged anything in until I was 12. I play a Bass VI and sing
– Zach Hunter: Around 11, I play guitar and sing.
– Tyler: I don’t really remember. It was a long time ago. Drums.
– Trent: Got my first real guitar when I was 8, but I never really got super into it until I was about 14.
Can you tell us about the process you use, from writing the songs all the way through getting the songs out?
Someone brings in an idea and we’ll play with it, work on arrangements, add a bridge/harmonies/yelps, etc. We are in a sweet situation because we practice in a shed-turned-studio, so we can put stuff down on a Teac 80-8 Reel to Reel when it’s ready to go. We also have put out cassette recordings from rehearsals, because sometimes they sound good.
What are some of the challenges you face as musicians and how have you overcome those challenges?
Making time for music. Everyone has jobs and/or school; and everyone is in other bands (Trent is in Swampbird and Bombay Harambee, Zac Hale is in Swampbird, Tyler is in The See and Trophy Boyfriends and plays with a few others, Zach Hunter is in Trophy Boyfriends and Listen Sister).
If you could pick any time to travel back to for music, where would you go and what year would it be?
– Zac Hale: Memphis in the ’50s, or maybe Brazil in the ’60s
– Zach Hunter: Abbey Road 1966 or Manchester/Glasgow 1980-1991
– Tyler: NYC in the late ’70s for No Wave or maybe Dunedin in the early ’80s.
– Trent: NYC, early ’70s
Who are all of you currently listening to?
– Zac Hale: Lucern Raze, The Zoltars, The Sonics
– Zach Hunter: Love, Tame Impala, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
– Tyler: Right this second? Tears for Fears.
– Trent: Gooch Palms, Mac Blackout Band, The Ramones, Young Thug
What do you think of “the state of rock n roll”?
– Zach Hunter: Sometimes it seems like there’s too many banjos, but there are a lot of great bands in the world.
– Tyler: Too many banjos.
– Trent: I try not to get to bummed on all the imagine dragons / mumford and sons stuff that’s going on. There’s a ton of really really cool stuff coming out these days on labels like Goner and Burger and In The Red, et cetera
– Zac Hale: I feel like I find out about a new badass band everyday.
Some albums that you have played on repeat over the years?
– Zac Hale: Guitar Romantic has been a constant for a decade or so, and Surfer Rosa finds its way into my life pretty regularly
– Zach Hunter: Revolver, Village Green Preservation Society, Definitely Maybe, Loveless, Trompe le Monde, Bee Thousand & Alien Lanes; those are the big ones.
– Tyler: Spiderland. I walked into the old Last Chance Records in Memphis one day during my teenage years and the greasy haired record store guy was playing it. I stood there and listened to the whole thing, bought it, and went to a thrift store the next day trying to find a record player. That record changed everything for me, and I go back to it often.
– Trent: The Ramones self titled and Jay Reatard’s Singles 06-07 have been in pretty constant rotation the past year or two. Still never really put down The Strokes debut since it came out. Rumours has been a big one for about as long as I can remember.
If you could open for any Band right now who would that be?
– Zach Hunter: Archers of Loaf would be awesome (if they’re still playing). The Rentals or Blur as well.
– Tyler: Afghan Whigs.
– Trent: Probably Thee Oh Sees
– Zac Hale: The Sonics are playing shows again I think, so probably them
My youngest son is 13 and in a Band, what advice would you offer him?
– Zach Hunter: Make the music you wish you could find in the record store
– Trent: Don’t overthink it. Do what feels good and roll with it.
– Tyler: Rudiments. Rudiments. Rudiments. Rudiments. Rudiments. Rudiments.
-Zac Hale: don’t let anyone tell you what to do!
Exile on Main Street or Pet Sounds?
– Zac Hale: Pet Sounds while the sun’s out, but the Stones rule the night
– Zach Hunter: They’re both great. Most days it would be Pet Sounds.
– Tyler: Exile and I’ll fight somebody over it.
– Trent: I’d have to go with Pet Sounds, but overall I’m a Stones guy for sure
listen to some kick ass tunes….