Drew Johnson Photography
Official music video for Pretty Boy by the Persian Leaps. Pretty Boy appears on the Drive Drive Delay EP, released Sept 2014, Land Ski Records. Created by Kobamm Productions
If you dig on the cleverness of Guided By Voices or maybe the vibe of REM before the big boys got to them, here is a Band from Saint Paul Minnesota that takes all of that and more into this Century. Yes , you still can sing along and understand the lyrics and it’s still okay to rock out with your air guitar, I haven’t checked in with any kind of Hipster Rules Committee but I’m pretty sure it is still okay to pick up your guitar and play just like yesterday, sorry I digress….The Persian Leaps are the kind of band that should get played on heavy rotation on independently owned radio stations like WYEP in Pittsburgh and they ought to be included on podcasts
from all you groovy kids that help spread the love of cool and not yet discovered by the in-crowd kick ass bands…so give a listen, sing along, dance, have a blast, tell your friends , tell you Mom, and don’t forget to tell your Dad about this really cool band you discovered at 50thirdand3rd.com…The Persian Leaps
Hi our name is:
– The Persian Leaps
People say we sound like:
– Guided By Voices, Teenage Fanclub, The Smiths
– Adam Brunner (bass, vocals), Drew Forsberg (vocals, guitars), Michael McCloskey (drums, vocals). Adam’s a recent addition to the band. Brad Hendrickson played bass on our new EP but left the band a few months back to focus on his guitar repair business.
We are originally from:
– Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN
Who are some bands that have an influence on your sound??
– Guided By Voices, Teenage Fanclub, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, The Stone Roses, House of Love, The Chameleons UK, Pavement, Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division, The Posies, Big Star
The first time we met was:
– Drew: High school detention. No, that’s an outright lie. Michael and I played together in a proto-version of this band in 2011. We met Adam last fall when we played a show with his band at the time.
We knew we were going to be a band:
– Drew: When Colonel Tom Parker and Malcolm McClaren got in a bidding war over managing us. That’s another outright lie, of course. The honest truth is, we’ve had a few different line-ups in the last two years. We’ve got families and careers and stuff, and real life happens, like it or not. Every line-up has had some incredibly fun, positive aspects. So far, Michael and I have been the constants. We have a shared love of harmonies, which is a big part of our sound.
Books we recommend …
– Adam: Pure Slaughter Value by Robert Bingham
– Drew: Anything by Jane Austen. I used to read a lot of literary fiction but honestly, I’m sick of it. These days, I mostly just read the latest comics from Marvel and DC. That’s not a lie at all; it’s the sad, sad truth.
– Michael: 1984 by George Orwell
Our craziest gig ever was:
– A Halloween house party in 2012
If you could pick any time to travel back to for music, where would you go and what year would it be:
– Adam: Probably New York in the early-mid 1990s. But I’d just be stalking Stephen Malkmus or David Berman.
– Drew: England in the late 1970s/early 1980s for the heyday of post-punk bands like Joy Division, Wire, Gang of Four, Chameleons UK, etc. Or England (again with the England!) in the mid-to-late 1980s for the C86 bands, Creation Records, Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, and the House of Love.
– Michael: San Francisco, 1967-Great music and even better clothes
Growing up, at home we listened to:
– Drew: Simon & Garfunkel. Seriously. I wore out our copies of “Bookends” and “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme.”
– Michael: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Allman Brothers
What tunes are you currently jamming to:
– Adam: I love the latest Sun Kil Moon record, and I’ve been listening to a lot of early Silkworm as well. Also this band from here in Minneapolis, Queen of France.
– Drew: I’ve enjoyed recent stuff from Cheap Girls and Eternal Summers. Hollow Boys (from Minneapolis) just released a stellar album.
– Michael: Currently jamming to The Jam, ironically.
If you could open for any band right now who should that be and why?
– Drew: Guided By Voices, because Uncle Bob is my spirit animal.
– Michael: I’d love to open for 12 Rods, because that would mean they were back making more music.
When you are touring and have some time off , where could we find you:
– Drew: Biking, cross-country skiing
– Michael: Sleeping, 9 hours a day is a must!
The one thing we want you to remember while your listening to us
– Michael: It’s OK to tap your foot along with the song.
Listen to some tunes……
and you can keep up with The Persian Leaps…